Monday, June 8, 2009

Beneath the Midwestern Moon

My post title is my little homage to Frances Mayes' book, "Under the Tuscan Sun". A story I read a decade ago as I was nearing a huge change in my life-matrimony. A coworker had lent it to me, as she had heard we were going to Italy on our honeymoon. I read the book, enjoyed it, perused the recipes that were also included in the book, but gave it back without cooking a single one (I wasn't even a newlywed yet, so most of our meals were mac'n'cheese.) I really hadn't thought about the book in years-the last time being when a movie came out and was actually released on video-hubby and I watched it and I enjoyed it, but had a hard time getting past some major differences between the movie and book (a struggle I often have).

Recently the movie was playing on one of our extended cable channels, so I recorded it-a good late evening entertainment when there isn't anything on. Watching the movie again reminded me of how much I liked the book. I told my hubby that if I could find it second hand I was going to buy it and THIS TIME I was going to cook some of those delicious recipes included. A few days later the kids and I were perusing the local Goodwill store as a timekiller (1st week of no school and a rainy forecast) and what do I find, but Under the Tuscan Sun! I snatched it up like it was a rare piece of jewelry. What a find!

I also on impulse bought a book circa the 70's about running a household-it's been actually fun reading about quick clean-ups involving emptying your ashtrays first and looking our best for hubby when he gets home. I think the best part about that book was a vintage postcard of a Florida hotel circa 60's or 70's-it's so fun to look at and just wonder-is it still there? Who went there and who was the postcard meant for (unfortunately it was never filled out or mailed)?

All of this nostalgia, along with re-reading a favorite from 10 years ago (my how my life has changed!), plus the fact that I will be turning 35 in less than two weeks has put me in some sort of state of "walking down memory lane". Today I dug out a sort of journal that my Grandmother filled out for me about her life when I was not much older than my daughter is today-I haven't looked at it in a few years, so it was very cool to get re-acquainted with it and my Grandma in turn. I'm planning on sharing it with my daughter very soon as she already adores her great grandmother, and would love to know more about her.

The previously mentioned postcard has put me on a mission-I have a plain wood tray in my family room sitting on an end table. The postcard inspired me to mod podge more postcards to the tray, then cover with a shellac to finish. I started my hunt for more postcards Friday, a local rummage sale listing advertised Antique postcards. I went with my two and somehow managed to lightly skim the full container of cards to find five to take home with a toddler on my hip for the duration. That evening as I was showing hubby my finds-he found the most exciting surprise about my new purchases. two of the cards had one cent stamps on them, and one of these had a postmark of the year 1908-THESE POSTCARDS WERE OVER 100 YEARS OLD! Obviously, those two are not going to be shellacked. I keep reading the messages on them over and over as if I'm peering into their soul-who were these people (sender and sendee)? Friends? Lovers? I can only guess... I do know one thing... I may have a new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun hobby. I'd love to see your tray when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found some great items, indeed! Suggestion: When you decide to add a protective coating, be sure it will stand up to water rings left by iced tea glasses, which 'sweat'. And, if I were you, I would see if that post card with the stamp and writing would 'separate' into 2 thin pieces - that way you could save the writing and stamp, and also preserve the front of the card - it would look neat placed crossways over part or a corner of the picture - so they would be preserved together! Amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete