Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Few Good Men

Today I heard that a friend of mine was hurt by some harsh words. These words came from the mouths of young men around 18 years old. I feel fortunate that most of the young men I know at this age are in my Sunday School class (or recent graduates) and are very respectful and non offensive with their vocabulary.

I just don't get why young people (and even less-than-young people) feel the need to use words to hurt and feel powerful over others. To feel truly empowered you must actually give of yourself to others. I guess it doesn't make much sense to see it in words, but it makes sense to me.

The bottom line is-sticks and stones break bones, and words DO hurt. My hope is that my son can grow up to be like some of the kind young men I know from Sunday school as opposed to the punks who don't think before they speak (or act for that matter.)

I will continue to try to teach by example and raise him to remember that other girls are somebody's sister, mother, wife or daughter and they deserve the respect and care we all need.

No comments:

Post a Comment