Sunday, November 15, 2009

Shake the crankies out.

Today I had to resort to some good old fashioned fresh air to get me out of a funk. And it worked-of course!

I woke up in a cheery enough mood-we had Sunday school and church-always an uplifting way to start the day. I think what started things going downhill was when we were leaving the church, my hubby was giving our boy a shoulder ride (something he often does with him, especially when we're trying to corral the kids). Well, hubby forgot to tell the little guy to duck his head as they went out the door-and wouldn't you know it? Goose-egg city! Now I'm not saying that made me get down, but after twenty minutes of listening to a crying toddler-I was starting to feel the pressure. Then when we got home it just ended up feeling like one of those days where I couldn't keep up with the constant requests of the family. Hubby went outside to do some much needed work and I fended for the rest of us. My niece had come to visit for the afternoon and a little neighbor girl came to play, so we had a full house. The kids were actually very good (especially the ones that weren't mine-why is that?) They just were taking time away from certain things I felt I needed to get done around the house.

That's when I realized.. "Stuff can wait, but I don't want to miss out on spending a Sunday afternoon with these great kids." My niece asked if they could play outside and I joined them. I shadowed their game of TV tag and helped them rake a good sized pile of leaves in the middle of my front yard-just so that they could enjoy jumping in them. After an hour or so outside in the cool autumn air, I was a little chilled, but happy-it really was a great day. Our guests returned home, I started getting the bread baked that I so badly wanted to make today and hubby helped while the kids had a little "chill out" time watching a movie.

Sometimes it is hard for me to let go of MY plans for what the little ones might want to do-but I have to remember this time is short, and usually if I give some time to them, they'll be more willing to mellow out and let Mom get some things done later. Ah... Life is good-get out and play!

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to let the things go that we want to do and focus on the kids, but it's worth it when we can!

    ReplyDelete