Sunday, February 22, 2009

Love those Midwestern winter weekends!

Well, what a whirlwind of a weekend we've had for our family. Originally my husband and I planned on getting up early Saturday, making breakfast and going to some local furniture stores to price out a love seat (how we're spending our tax return). One look at all of the winter storm warnings Friday night put the kibosh on that plan.

We hoped that maybe Mother Nature would go easy on us, but as we woke Saturday morning, one peak out our window showed that, yep, we were staying in. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a blizzard. It's just easier to NOT have to bundle everyone up and make sure that the little guy keeps his mittens on-especially just to go window shopping. Plus, what better reason to cuddle up and watch movies, play some games and just plain have fun.

We (and by we I mean my husband) did achieve two major accomplishments on Saturday: he cleaned the gum off of some antique chairs that we had acquired from our church and he tightened up an antique table that we bought from our neighbors. Put them all together and VOILA! You have a completely different looking dining room setup! I finally was able to put away the cheap big box mart table and chairs set that I bought um... 10 years ago! It's just so nice to have a dining set that lives up to the integrity and character of our drafty old house.

Sunday was a much more action packed day for our family. We started out with Sunday School and church. After church it was a mad dash home for a quick bite and then my daughter and I were off to the local high school to watch "Junie B. Jones the Musical". We had an awesome mother daughter bonding time. I even got a little choked up on the finale song (something that isn't too huge of a surprise to anyone who knows me). After waiting in line for "forever" (according to my daughter) we got autographs from every single cast member, then headed home.

At that point we decided to get bundled up and go sledding (the temperature and wind chill are much more comfortable today). It was a pretty short trip, and the snow was pretty thin, but we had a blast! The little guy was just as excited to go down the hill (all by himself mind you) as his big sister! When everyone had enough of the cold weather we headed home for supper and hot chocolate.

And now, what do you know-it's nearly bedtime. I just love the days that fly by like that! I truly hope that our kids will remember half of the fun things we've done with them. I wish that I could remember every second of it, myself.

1 comment:

  1. Sunday sounds like the best day! The only memory that stands out in my mind about sledding with MY kids was the time my oldest went down the hill by himself as his younger brother stood at the top of the hill with me. We watched helplessly as he got off his sled, stood upright, and was immediately whomped by a small sled with metal runners that carried two large adults stacked one on top of the other on their bellies! My darling boy (about 8 yrs old then) flew upside down into the air, Charlie-Brown-style, and landed dazed on the hard packed snow! We ran quickly down the hill to collect him, and that ended our day on the hill at Garfield Park! (and that was only about the 3rd slide down the hill) Lucky he wasn't hurt badly, but still a very painful day. And those 2 adults? Never an "I'm sorry, is he okay" - Nothing. Unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete