Wednesday, February 18, 2009

To Mortgage or not to Mortgage?

In light of our (and several other peoples') situation, I have been trying to find ways of saving money.

One thing I started doing a few months ago was looking at fliers for the local supermarkets and making my menu around what was on sale (and what I had in stock) instead of the other way around. Between that and clipping coupons, I have cut our grocery bill in half! I also have cut my lunches out down to once every few weeks (before I was laid off it was at least once a week). We have also been keeping our thermostat kept pretty low (long johns anyone?).

Unfortunately, these savings just are not enough to help me with my grand plan (more like pipe dream). That was for my husband and I to go away for a few days for our 10 year anniversary this summer. Originally the plan was to go to Las Vegas and stay at the Venetian (reminiscent of our honeymoon-we went to Italy and are still paying for it-ha!). Then I lowered my expectations to a few days at a beach house along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. That is more than likely slightly out of our grasp, also.

I just don't think that Obama and the stimulus package are going to be able to help my family fast enough. And it really isn't the end of the world-we're happy at home, too. But lately I've been thinking that maybe we should look into refinancing to get our rate lowered. Now, I used to work in a mortgage related industry, but I couldn't tell you what current rates are to save my life! I kind of feel bad about that, but my mind is so filled up with tomorrow's lunchbox for my girl and tonight's dinner for all of us, and ooh, what is that smell?-time to change the boy. That's just an example of the zillions of thoughts going around in my head.

I guess I really should call up some of my old lender friends and find out what rates are and if we can even get approved on one salary. I'll keep you posted-it will be a whole new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment