Sunday, May 3, 2009

Oxymorons

It seemed like this weekend was full of Oxymoron's. No, I don't mean dumb people who use that oxy cleaner, I mean when contradictory terms appear side by side.

For instance, we had the privilege of babysitting my niece (3) and nephew (1) yesterday. Since we had all of my father-in-law's grandkids here, we invited him to dinner. Also, we had most of the neighborhood kids in our yard for a neighborhood baseball game (I love my neighborhood!). So, preparing all the sides for dinner (hubby grilled the meat) while having the three youngest kids in the house & everyone whooping it up outside (Grandpa got to pitch)-that seemed a lot like organized chaos! We had so much fun-and the kids (and grown-ups) were wiped by bedtime.

Today we went to a barbecue at my sister's house and got to meet my mothers new friend (do I dare say boyfriend?). It was such a great day-we had great food, the kids played and got muddy, and the grown ups even played a short game of kickball. The best part of the day was a little later on-my sister had some CD's playing in the garage that my nephew loves. He is the special guy I mention in my post about Walking for Autism now. He got SO excited over some of the songs, he would dance and his smile was so huge. He'd be in this euphoric state and then he'd look at me, and I'd be there, too. The kid just takes my breath away-I love him so much! To add also that I was just having a blast playing with all of the kids this weekend-my own and the nieces and nephews (and my big kid-hubby too)..

It felt blissfully painful or painfully blissful. Just knowing that those moments are magic, and they don't last forever. I remember when I was a young girl, I LOVED the song "Puff the Magic Dragon". It would always make me cry. I was a child and not quite old enough to understand why it upset me so, but I know now it's because that song has put into words so beautifully the grief that you can feel over the undeniable passage of time-children grow up, parents grow old, parents eventually leave us...

I know this magic I felt might not be with us forever, and it's not like times are easy for everyone and/or anyone, but when I feel like my heart has gotten so full that its going to burst, I'm going to take a deep breath, take it all in and count my blessings.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to slow down, in the midst of all the chaos, and realize how much you appreciate life. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a weekend! Very busy, but sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete