Tuesday, March 17, 2009

May the luck of the Irish be with ya.

It is beautiful where I live today, and it makes me think of that old Irish "May the sun always be on your back, and the road rise up to meet you." (or something like that). I had grand plans for this sunny St. Patrick's Day-the little guy and I took big sis to school, went to the YMCA so I could workout while he played in the Y Wee care, then we were going to get some groceries, stop at "Grandma's" bank and head home to enjoy the weather outside right up until naptime. Unfortunately, my Irish luck ran out-little man took a tumble in the Y Wee care and hurt his lip, so they brought him to me.

It was a good thing that we left the Y early though, for when we pulled into the grocery store parking lot, my cell phone was ringing-Guess who? The school-Dear daughter had a headache and a fever (I need to get a bubble for that girl!) So now our day is pretty much indoors resting. We are trying to make the most of it-we got some McDonalds for "second breakfast". Tasting Shamrock Shakes brings me back to one of my favorite St. Patty's days-one before I had children.

It was just Hubby and I back then. Us and our furry "son", Lucky dog. It was a warm day that time also, and I took Lucky for a walk a soon as I got home from work-we walked along a canal that was a block away from our duplex-I can still smell the fresh spring air! When I got back to the apartment, Hubby was home, we also had our friend Josh visiting from out of town. After a little primping (before children I was actually able to fix my hair), we headed to Kelly's, a locals favorite for corned beef cabbage and green beer. What I will never forget is that Josh bought me my first pint of Guinness that night. At first I thought it was the most disgusting drink I'd ever tasted-it was like cold coffee, only more bitter. I'm sure Hubby and Josh enjoyed watching the faces I made as I tried to choke it down. But by the bottom of the glass, I had been converted. I still prefer dark beer to this day. We had so much fun, playing darts and enjoying the atmosphere, the camaraderie (isn't everyone "a wee bit" Irish on St. Patrick's day?) and the great food. When it was time to leave the bar, we weren't quite ready to call our little party quits. That's when the boys decided that I needed to try one more delicious first. I had my first Shamrock Shake that night. It was delicious-what more can I say?

Now that I'm a mommy and count calories and my first concern is definitely NOT drinking beer for St. Patrick's day anymore-I like to think back to that night. In a way things were simpler then-We only worried about ourselves. I would never want to go back, though. My children are my "pot of gold". Our evening will probably consist of green french toast and corned beef hash (what kid doesn't love breakfast for supper?), but in my heart I'll be lifting a pint of Guinness.

1 comment: