Friday, March 27, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things.

I love seeing what makes other peoples lives easier. Especially people in a situation like my own (stay-at-home mother trying to save money, yet have fun wither her family). I thought I'd list a few of the things that I have found that I can't live without now that I'm the housefrau momma:

1. My library card-little man and I go at least every other week, more often as the weather gets nicer-they have toys, puzzles, a DRINKING FOUNTAIN (something everyone under 5 understands is a huge asset), CDs, movies, and they even have books, too! I love stocking up on fun books to read with the kids (or to have the seven year old read to her brother-like that isn't adorable!)

2. My Crock Pot slow cooker and my "Fix it and Forget it Lightly" cookbook. I like to eat healthy, but I also don't have a lot of time to be standing over a stove (too curious of an audience at that time of day)-so the slow cooker is a must have for our house.

3. Our local Aldis-I was skeptical at first-but they have won me over on so many occasions. I love their ketchup (just like my favorite name brand), their cottage cheese, their havarti cheese, their string cheese-pretty much any of their dairy, and I LOVE their $2.99 per bottle Winking Owl Cabernet Sauvignon. I know, I know-a three dollar bottle of wine?? But seriously folks, I've had $30 bottles that aren't as good-so why knock it? Plus, doing some of my shopping at Aldis has been a factor in my ability to cut our grocery bill in half. (I must also give props to my other favorite local grocer-Krogers-that's where I do the majority of my shopping-love their 10 for $10 deals!)

4. My clear plastic cover over my tablecloth. I have to admit that this one still kind of bugs me. It's something that hubby's grandma always did, and he convinced me to try it. I'm not thrilled with the way it looks-but I'm getting used to it, and I was surprised just how much I love being able to wipe away those crumbs pronto!

5. My coffee. Gotta have it-need I say more?

6. My sewing machine-I really do enjoy making things with my hands. Right now I'm working on my daughter's Easter dress (no pressure, right?)-and I just love watching something come together bit by bit. I'll make dresses for her until the day she tells me (and I know it's coming-sniffle) "Mom-can't you just buy me a dress, it's kind of embarrassing to where home-made."

7. My blog-I had no idea how therapeutic it is to be able to express myself. I know there are other people out there that read my words and understand, and might even like what I have to say-how cool is that?

8. My church-I love our new pastor-he's really doing some great things for our church. I always feel better about things after I've gone to church-it's a great way to start our Sunday. Over the past year I have become more involved with Sunday School, Nursery, Junior Church and now the choir-I might be becoming a church junkie (haha!)

9. My family-My wonderful husband and my two smart, cute (of course I think so) and hilarious kids. I wouldn't be me without them. That's not true, I would be me, but not a version of me I'd like to hang out with. I kind of like this funny, able to laugh at herself person I've become over the past few months. I just remembered the other day how a year ago at this time I had my first panic attack-It was after a crazy busy day at the office.... Not having any of those anymore. I think I'm exactly where I need to be at this time.

2 comments:

  1. Good post - I believe that when something like a job loss or life change occurs, where we are IS where we need to be; through no fault of our own, we are transported to a place where we can be transformed into our better self - and to remember what really matters in life. When that lesson is learned, we can then move on to the NEXT lesson! Bless us both on our journeys....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice post Angie! It makes me think of all the things/people in my life I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete